New Hampshire Lawyers Blog - Liberty Legal Services

In our blog we will try and give updates on the law and cases throughout New Hampshire, as well as interesting events that occur throughout the country.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login

Habitual Offender - Do I need a lawyer?

Posted by on in Criminal Defense
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 2607
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print

If you have received a Habitual Offender letter in the mail from the New Hampshire DMV, I highly suggest you contact a lawyer.  The New Hampshire DMV will certify a driver as a Habitual Offender when that driver accrues the following violations/crimes in a 5 year span:

3 majors

12 minors

Or a combination of majors and minors such as:

2 majors and 4 minors

Major violations are DWI, Reckless Driving, Driving after Suspension etc.

Minor violations are speeding, improper lane change etc. 

You have a right to a hearing before an examiner at the New Hampshire Department of Safety.  I can't stress enough that you should NOT ignore the letter.  If you do not appear before the hearings examiner, you could use your license for 4 years.  If you drive after being classified as a Habitual Offender, you are facing a felony and not less than 1 year in prison.  Call us to discuss your options. 


Serving all of N.H.

Manchester Office
212 Coolidge Ave.
Manchester, NH 03102
(603) 583-4444